When it comes to a well-functioning koi pond design, there is a big concern today. The issue is that few individuals can agree on what makes an appropriate koi pond design.
We can assist you in implementing a sustainable filtration system for your pond using some of our custom-designed filters. The majority of people who decide to build a koi pond on their own are ecstatic and determined to get it correctly the first time.
Then the issue arises. They quickly become overloaded with contradicting information when they begin researching and talking to their friends about koi pond design.
Almost all of the advice comes from people who, have very little knowledge of Nishikigoi and modern koi pond design. They may have constructed a successful pond, but unless you construct a koi pond of identical size and shape, whatever worked for them may not work for you.
Because in each case water quality and parameters are different. different types of filters should be used in each circumstance.
A successful koi pond design must meet two key characteristics. (1) effective filtering and (2) good water circulation.
Koi fish and other similar breeds grow very fast and produce a lot of waste and as such, they need to be supplied with good quality water, one needs to create a mechanism wherein the water is continuously being filtered.
An effective filter has 4 four parts.
- Mechanical Filter – This is efficient in removing solid wastes generated by the fishes and plants.
- Biological Filter – Beneficial microorganisms are used in biological filtration to transform poisons into harmless molecules. This removes all the dissolved waste from the pond water. eg Ammonia, Nitrites etc biologically.
- UV Water Clarifier- which helps in clarifying water and prevents the growth of single-celled algae which turns the pond water green over a period.
- Aeration – An efficient aerator with enough air diffusers to maintain optimum dissolved oxygen levels for the fish.
In short, to maintain your koi health and living, the pond must have a good biomechanical filter system with UV water clarifier and aeration. By providing water of exceptional quality. This doesn’t just refer to clean water; it also refers to water that is good for the koi.
Water circulation within the pond is critical to effective Koi care.
Internal water circulation in a koi pond is an important design aspect. The water in a pond should never be stagnant. Water flow dilutes pollutants and distributes dissolved oxygen throughout the system.
Water circulation is crucial in our Koi ponds for transferring solid and chemical contaminants to the filters and Biological filters. The water should gently circulate the pond horizontally as well as vertically – either top to bottom or bottom to top. The circulation velocity also is to be monitored closely so that in any case it doesn’t exhaust the Koi.
When preparing to build a pond, whether it’s your first or last, carefully consider the advantages and disadvantages of each style of construction, including filters.
You’re always welcome to call on our team’s knowledge. Consider talking to us before you start building to receive the pond you want. Taking the time to learn ahead of time will save you both time and money.
Because we are skilled pond builders with over a decade of experience with Koi and Koi ponds, we can recommend the ideal filter system for your pond.
We provide the following services related to the koi pond and its upkeeping.
- Koi Pond Design Consultation
- Koi Pond Filters & Pump Selection.
- Pond Construction & Surface Coatings.
- Koi Pond and Water Body Renovations
- and other services