This residence is located near Kottakal, Kerala, and boasts a tranquil pond teeming with breathtaking Koi fish. These vibrant fish not only lend aesthetic appeal but also play a vital role in maintaining the pond’s ecological balance by absorbing excess nutrients.
Koi fish ponds offer an enchanting and pristine habitat for these captivating creatures. Beyond their ornamental value, this Koi fish pond serves as both a functional and serene space for our clientele.
The pond was meticulously designed to accommodate 35 Koi fish, each measuring 80 centimetres in length, with a total water volume of 45 cubic meters. The construction phase spanned approximately 9 months.
The pond’s structure features reinforced concrete (RCC) with 8 mm reinforcements, and the interior is adorned with premium imported handmade tiles. These tiles are securely affixed to the plastered RCC shell using high-grade algae-resistant epoxy.
The upper surface of the pond is also adorned with top-notch imported handmade tiles, affixed to the RCC shell with reinforced cement.
Our filtration system includes:
- Hydro Cyclone system with automatic backwash
- High Surface Area Biological filter and media
- Air Diffusers
- Bottom drain with backwash
- UV water clarifier (380 watts)
Thanks to our diligent filtration system, water parameters consistently remain within the normal range, maintaining a pH level between 7.5 to 8.5. The Biofiltration pump, coupled with the UV water clarifier system, operates for 15 hours daily.
- Mechanical systems require only 5-7 hours of daily operation to efficiently eliminate accumulated debris and fish waste.
- To ensure optimal oxygen levels, a high-pressure air compressor delivers 260 litres per minute of aeration for the pond.
- The UV water clarifier effectively eliminates harmful bacteria and viruses, improving water clarity and controlling algae growth. This efficient system significantly reduces energy consumption.
- Maintenance is kept to a minimum. Aside from weekly pond scrubbing, backwashing and cleaning the filter system take no more than 15 minutes.
- Koi fish thrive in a pristine aquatic environment, so routine cleaning and water testing are essential to detect any water quality issues early on.
- Our mechanical filtration system incorporates a high-capacity Hydro-cyclone system with a quick drain valve, requiring only 2 to 10 litres of water for backwashing, effectively removing suspended waste particles.
- Temperature readings are closely monitored using floating thermometers, maintaining a favourable range of 22.5 to 24 degrees Celsius day and night.
A well-designed Koi fish pond differs significantly from typical water gardens, demanding minimal care and maintenance, primarily focused on water testing and filter backwashing.
A comprehensive maintenance schedule, detailing water tests and level adjustments, is provided in written form for our customers.
During the initial setup, we introduced 45,000 litres of treated water to the Koi pond, along with the necessary pond water conditioner and de-chlorinator. Once chlorine levels were deemed safe, the biofilter was stocked with a predetermined quantity of filter media and API’s quick pond start was added to initiate the biofilter’s function.
Microblift phosphate controller and clean and care products were added to ensure proper cycling.
After a two-week settling period, high-quality imported Koi fish, over 30 in number and measuring more than 45 centimetres in length, were introduced to the pond.
We recommend quarantining new fish in a separate tank for at least one week and administering a PP Bath or Salt bath with the appropriate chemical concentration before introducing them to the main Koi fish pond. This precaution minimizes the risk of infections and potential mortality.
For those interested in creating their own Koi fish haven or seeking design and construction services, feel free to contact us! You can also access informative videos on our Facebook and YouTube pages.